The Blue Screen of Death … The Machine’s middle finger for us mortals!

Yesterday my Laptop gave me the ‘middle finger’ ... well not exactly … it showed me the Blue Screen of Death.

    


The Blue Screen of Death (also known as a stop error, BSoD, bluescreen, or Blue Screen of Doom) is a  colloquialism used for the error screen displayed by some operating systems, most notably Microsoft Windows, after encountering a critical system error which can cause the system to shut down to prevent damage. Blue screens on NT-based Windows systems are usually caused by poorly-written device drivers or malfunctioning hardware. (Source: Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death )


And it did not do it once … or twice, It has already done it 4 times and I am already scared to switch it on again. B'coz the last time I saw the blue screen on my laptop (way back in march 2007) its hard disk crashed and I lot all my data L

So … here I am … shit scared … of losing my data once again. 

Data .. which included project files, my PST, digital photographs of past 10 months (dubai life), and loads of electronic trails of personal memories … and the loss of the last part is the most painful one.

For a person like me, whose actual memory (I am referring to the Brain my dear) is literally non-existent; I depend heavily on 'external storage devices' and a loss of such kind is colossal for me. Unfortunately I am not carrying my 500 GB Hard Disk on this trip to Dubai and I will probably have to find some means of backing up my 'emotionally relevant' and 'professionally relevant' data before my laptop or its Hard Disk breathes its last.

I don't think I have mentioned I ever in my blog, but my laptop is a Dell Inspiron and I named it 'SilverSnow' ('Dollops' is the pet name :) And she is beautiful. She has served me well in the past 3.5 Years ever since I purchased it in Switzerland (Jan 2006). 

Maybe its time to begin evaluating other laptops on the market shelves. A big expense coming up ahead ... and this comes at a time when I am supposed to be conserving every bit of cash I have (got some HUGE expense commitment ahead) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tongue Twister - V for Vendetta

Gandhi Topi !!