Words Have Power

 A simple word can indeed make a difference. 

More than 2 decades ago, I had made a conscious change to a habit of mine. To the question "How are you?", I started responding with "Fantastic". 

It woudl surprise people who routinely said and heard 'Nice' 'OK' 'Going Good' as responses. I realised that people dont really expect other people to have 'fantastic day/life' so it suprises them no end to hear that response from me. 

I began to observe that more people greeted me once they knew that I responded with 'Fantastic' with a wide smile and enthusiasm. It seemed to give them a minor energy boost and probably hope. And then I found a few people who went from 'nice' to 'going good' and from there to 'great' and some even tried 'Fantastic' ... i knew I was spreading the Virus :) 

We all know that words make a difference. To others and to ourselves too. Strong positive words can uplift your/others spirits immedietely and shift the frame of reference. Its powerful. 

I do slide into 'going good' at times ... those are the moments when I am not feeling great. And i immedietely hear back "Why what happened? What happened to fantastic?". Not only reminds me to go back but also a quick introspection trigger. 

Another one that I am trying to get into habit of is saying "Make a Great Day" or "Make a Nice Day" instead of "Have a Nice day" ... the focus is not on nice/great but instead of have versus Make. Have is incidental and wishful thinking - putting the responsibility on other people and circumstances. Make put the responsibility on you. You make your day the way you like. Don't settle on what others create for you so that you can 'have' it. Make it !! 

So, on this Tuesday, I feel Fantastic and I wish you Make a Great Day for yourself and those around you. 

Do share any powerful habit that you have developed or observed in others that created a lasting impression on you. 

#fantastic #coaching #personaldevelopment #transformation #lifecoaching #teamcoaching #leadershipdevelopment #growth #energy #change #people #share #power #smiles 

This article was inspired by Virgin (Airlines) Australia's latest campaign - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vw3K3w2a38

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tongue Twister - V for Vendetta

Gandhi Topi !!