The #UncomfortableCoach and The #FilmyCoach
I set out to establish myself as The #ClarityCoach. People around me had other ideas. They made me The #UncomfortableCoach and The #FilmyCoach.
And, increasingly, I have realised that #UncomfortableCoach probably explains and justifies #ClarityCoach.
Because clarity is not always comfortable.
- Sometimes clarity means recognising that the problem is not your team. It is YOU.
- Sometimes it means admitting that the business model you have protected for years no longer works.
- Sometimes it means accepting that your greatest strength has quietly become your biggest limitation.
- Sometimes it means confronting the conversation you have successfully avoided for six months.
- And sometimes it means answering the question: “If you already know what you need to do… why haven’t you done it?”
That is where coaching gets interesting.
There is an old idea that "Success lies outside your comfort zone".
As a coach, I take that further and higher.
A coach’s job is not merely to push someone outside their comfort zone.
That can easily become pressure, advice or motivational theatre.
The deeper work is to help someone enter discomfort deliberately and stay there long enough to learn from it. And eventually become comfortable operating in situations that once felt uncomfortable.
Because growth changes the boundaries of your comfort zone.
- What was difficult becomes manageable.
- What was frightening becomes familiar.
- What once felt impossible becomes another capability.
Perhaps that is why the ThumsUp tagline has always appealed to me: “Darr ke aage jeet hai.” (Victory lies beyond fear.)
Very filmy, I know. Which brings me to other name; this one given to me by Shambavi Rajagopal during a BFFC.WORLD meetup: The #FilmyCoach.
I use movie scenes, dialogues, characters and stories frequently, in coaching conversations, workshops, public speaking and sometimes even serious discussions where perhaps no Bollywood reference was strictly necessary. But then, that is just Me :)
A two-minute movie scene can sometimes explain leadership, courage, failure, ambition or relationships better than twenty slides of theory.
I have happily accepted that moniker too.
I chose #ClarityCoach because I believe clarity changes decisions.
Others saw the uncomfortable questions that I asked for their clarity. Hence #UncomfortableCoach.
I talked about frameworks. People remembered the movie references. Hence #FilmyCoach.
Maybe the three belong together.
The Uncomfortable Coach gets you out of the familiar.
The Filmy Coach helps you see things differently.
The Clarity Coach helps you decide what to do next.
So Let's Talk ... because "Darr ke aage jeet hai".
#UncomfortableCoach #ClarityCoach #FilmyCoach #ExecutiveCoaching #Leadership #LeadershipDevelopment #Coaching #SelfAwareness #PersonalGrowth

Comments
Post a Comment