To Be or Not To Be

 The Spoken Language is an Ocean of Communication 


The meaning of the sentence can be completely changed when emphasizing one word over another. 


You can emphasise a word by:

- Stretching out the vowel sound.

- Pronouncing one syllable louder than the other syllables.

- Pausing after the word that is being emphasized is spoken.

- By making air quotes with your hand while saying that word. 

- Speaking slower when saying the word you want to emphasize.


Let's take this classic example (emphasizing the word within 'quotes') 


I never said she stole my money.

This sentence takes on a new meaning depending on which word you emphasize.


'I' never said she stole my money.

(But someone else said so.)


I 'never' said she stole my money.

(Never, ever.)


I never 'said' she stole my money.

(But it was implied.)


I never said 'she' stole my money.

(Someone else stole it.)


I never said she 'stole' my money.

(I gave it to her voluntarily.)


I never said she stole 'my' money.

(It was someone else’s wallet that was stolen.)


I never said she stole my 'money'.

(She took something else instead.)


The video shows (in a positively hilarious vein), 

how the emphasis on different words changes the meaning 

I am still searching for the 'full video' (this one is just highlights) 


Another classic is the now multi-dimensional word F-U-C-K

The meaning changes entirely based on HOW it is said. 

The web has volumes on this single word alone :) 


My personal favourite is the video (shared here).

Famous actors emphasize a different word

of a very famous Shakespearean dialogue.

Watch it and Have fun. 





So, in summary, pay attention to HOW you say your words 

and what word in the sentence you emphasize. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw_zDsAeqrI


#CommunicationSkills #CoachHemant #SuccssCoach #GrowthMindset #Clarity


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tongue Twister - V for Vendetta

Gandhi Topi !!